Monday, August 12, 2013

Louis Orth Bike Check

-->Switching things up this week, we decided to go with Louis Orth, our team flatland rider for a bike check. Louis rarely changes his parts and if he does, it's because something broke. Louis is really good at breaking bike parts and never accepts compliments about his riding. He always says he, "could be better." Check out how old some of his parts are and what works for him when riding flatland.

Louis and his Function Mechanism.

Name: Louis Orth
Age:
24
Height:
5’ 8”
Weight:
147 lbs
Location:
Middlesex, NJ/New Rochelle, NY
Sponsors:
Team Anger, Remorse BMX, Efinger Sporting Goods
Function Mechanism.

Frame: Function Mechanism 19” Gray
Fork:
Odyssey Pro Flatland (2003 Model)
Bars:
Remorse BMX Custom 8.35” x 25.5”
Stem:
S&M Redneck FLT
Grips:
Salt Team
Barends:
Quamen SS Endz
Headset:
Animal Integrated
Brake(s):
Dia-Compe Hombre
Brake Lever(s):
Dia-Compe Tech 77
Gyro:
None
Clamp:
Profile Slim Jim
Seatpost:
Macneil 330 (Uncut)
Seat:
Macneil Flatland Pivotal
Pedals:
Odyssey Twisted PC
Cranks:
Odyssey Phat Black Widows 165mm
Sprocket:
Animal Sprocky Balboa 25t
Chain:
Various KMC links
Bottom Bracket: Animal PC
Front Tire:
Odyssey Frequency G K-Lyte 1.85” Folding Tan Wall
Front Wheel:
Demolition Bulimia Hub laced to a Ukai rim
Rear Tire:
Odyssey Frequency G K-Lyte 1.85” Folding Tan Wall
Rear Wheel:
KHE Reverse Freecoaster LHD 9t laced to an Eclat Bondi rim
Pegs:
Love Goat Pillow Chewers
S&M Redneck FLT Stem, Dia-Compe Hombre Brake, Remorse BMX Bars.

Any modifications?
I run a dual front brake set-up, I stretched my grips out because they weren’t going to fit, and I run my bars the tiniest bit forward.
Remorse BMX Bars, Dual Front Brake Cable Set Up.

How much PSI do you run in your tires?
130-135 PSI, depends on how I’m feeling. 
Odyssey Frequency G K-Lyte Tire, Demolition Bulimia Hub, Ukai Rim, Odyssey Pro Flatland Forks, Love Goat Pillow Chewer Pegs.

How do you like your bike to feel?
Tight and responsive. If something is loose, I don’t ride as well.
KHE Reverse Freecoaster, Eclat Bondi Rim, Love Goat Pillow Chewer Pegs.


Newest part on your bike?
My frame. But that doesn’t count, because it’s used. So, I guess my tires.
Profile Slim Jim Seat Clamp, Macneil 330 Seatpost, Macneil Flatland Pivotal Seat.

Oldest part on your bike?
It’s a toss up between my pegs and cranks. I honestly don’t know how old they are, but they’ve survived, so far.
Animal Sprocky Balboa 25t Sprocket, Odyssey Twisted PC Pedals, KMC Chain, Odyssey Phat Black Widow 165mm Cranks.

What’s the story behind the “ANGER” sticker?
Before I explain it, all credit goes to Rodney Morweiser. In 2011, at the Somerville Bike Race, we found a few Skavenger stickers and Rodney thought it would be a cool idea to cut the letters out for “anger.” He did it without my knowledge and actually put it on my spokes in the front wheel. I took it and put it on my top tube. A few months later I cracked that frame and I was super bummed I wouldn’t have an “ANGER” sticker on my bike. Thanks to Rodney, he was able to find some spare Skavenger stickers and we made the sticker again. Then I cracked that frame, but I already had a spare one waiting at home. But the reason I keep it on my bike is because it’s a huge motivator for me. I spend three-six hours out in a parking lot trying the same trick over and over again until I land it and after awhile I start to get frustrated and I look at that sticker and think, “I’m not out here to not pull a trick, I need to get angry and pull this trick.” It works almost every time."Anger is a gift."
Anger Sticker.

What parts do you go through the most?
Air in my tires, grips, pedals, frames, and tires.
Salt Team Grips.

Your favorite trick?
Probably a hitchhiker or decade. I just like the way they feel.
Function Mechanism Headtube Sticker, S&M Redneck FLT Stem.

Any crazy stories about your bike?
Back in May, I came home from school and went out for my first summer session. About two hours in, I stepped out of a hitchhiker and noticed my frame was cracked right on the seat tube. Went through the warranty purchase of S&M through Grove Street Bicycles because that’s where I originally bought it. They weren’t willing to warranty the frame, so Nick (Polnasek) called S&M and they said they would warranty the frame. Awesome. Took apart my bike, built up one of my back ups (a cracked and then welded St. Martin), and we sent out the frame. A week goes by and we receive a phone call from S&M and they tell us that they can’t warranty the frame because it’s a cosmetic crack, seatpost isn’t the correct size, or the seat clamp is too tight and when I spin it causes stress to the area and crack. So the best they can do for me is weld the crack and send it back. Okay. Got the frame back a week later and just rode hard. About a month later, two days before I was leaving for vacation, I cracked the frame in the same exact spot, noticed it while stepping out of a hitchhiker, and the crack was a lot worse. Instead of dealing with S&M, I contacted Chad Catalano of Remorse BMX. He told me he had one of his old Function BMX frames that he was willing to give me. I just had to go down to Medford and pick it up before 10PM. I was working until 5PM and then I had a root canal at 5:15PM. I got home by 6PM, drooling because of all the Novocaine the dentist gave me, picked up my buddy Chris, and we flew down to Medford to get the frame, where Chad was nice enough to build it up for me right there on the spot. I still can’t believe I went through all that trouble to just to have a bike to ride. I must be insane.
Custom Remorse BMX Bars, Dia-Compe Tech 77 Levers.

Shout outs/Thanks?
Thanks to Efingers for letting me be apart of the team, my lady-friend Rachel for the support, my parents, and Kevin Jones. Shout outs to Chad and Sunny at Remorse BMX, Rodney at Grove Street Bicycles, Chris Stauffer, Brian Tunney, Erin D. and her garage, Marc C. for giving me a chance, Dustin F. for all the knowledge ("Knowledge is power"), and Wawa Peach Iced Tea.


No comments: